Artist and Athlete Visa (P-1)
The P-1 classification applies to an alien coming to the U.S. temporarily to perform at a specific athletic competition as an athlete, individually or as part of a group or team, at an internationally recognized level of performance.
P-1 Application Checklist:
- A written advisory opinion from an appropriate labor organization (if applicable)
- A copy of the contract with a major U.S. sports league or team or a contract in an individual sport commensurate with international recognition in the sport, if such contracts are normally utilized in the sport
- Copies of evidence of at least two of the following:
- Significant participation in a prior season with a major United States sports league Participation in international competition with a national team
- Significant participation in a prior season for a U.S. college or university in intercollegiate competition
- A written statement from an official of the governing body of the sport which details how the alien or team is internationally recognized
- A written statement from a member of the sports media or a recognized expert in the sport which details how the alien or team is internationally recognized
- The individual or team is ranked, if the sport has international rankings
- The alien or team has received a significant honor or award in the sport
Disclaimer: The information on this page does not constitute legal advice. Please contact the firm for an explanation concerning how you should use the information we have provided and for other important information.